Paul Laughlin, MD of Laughlin Consultancy, delivered the?keynote workshop for data scientist students at Data Talent Scotland on 16 March.
Sponsored by?MBN Solutions,?with?Data Lab?&?We Are the Future, the?Data Talent Scotland?event was?a first of its kind??collider event?. That?s an opportunity for students, academics, industry experts & Scottish businesses to come together.
Over 400 attended, including students, ?data enthusiasts? (already pursuing data careers), academics, employers & other agencies.
The idea is to encourage a community of those interested in data science.
It?s about providing useful content & sufficient time for conversation. Both goals were achieved with a real buzz, enthusiasm & engagement between the worlds of academia & commerce.
Informal feedback confirmed that this?event?helped students & recruiting managers understand each other better & both?benefit from the experience.
People were actively tweeting during the day (with a bottle of fine scotch to be won), so you can follow feedback there, using the hashtag?#DTS16.
The event included:
- 200+?students?in Data Science courses from around Scotland
- 11?universities?representing 15 Data science courses
- 50?employers?based in Scotland
- 100+ general admission for those interested in a?career in data
- 2 classes of?school children?from Scotland (to engage the talent pipeline earlier)
- Exhibition?stands from industry and academia
- Keynotes and panel discussions?from industry and academic leaders
- Workshops?focused on those other skills analysts need & employment
At his workshop,?Paul shared with data science students the ?softer skills? they need to develop?to succeed in business. Providing?an overview of lessons learnt over 13 years of creating & leading Analytics teams within FS firms. Why did some data scientists flourish & others stalled in their careers? What was the difference in those analysts who made a real difference and saw their insights acted upon? How can tomorrow?s data scientists set themselves up for success & impact in the commercial world.
Copies of his slides from this workshop are available on SlideShare for download:
Softer Skills workshop for #DTS16 event in Edinburgh